top of page
Miners Cottage Lake Mac History.jpeg

Company houses were mainly built with hardwood timber milled at the pit.  These had four rooms: a “front room”, main bedroom, second bedroom and a small kitchen with an open fire.

In the 1930’s a cast iron Simplex or Metters stove was provided but rents went up about 1\6d a week to pay for it.

 

Two back rooms were added by the company in the 1920’s. In some cases, this was a basic bathroom, and some tenants also closed in the front veranda.

Photo     Lake Mac History

bottom of page