top of page

As the earlier pits were mined out, a fifth mine known as “E" Pit was brought into operation in 1906. The houses built nearby are part of Middle Camp but were colloquially known as "Federal City".
This pit also mined the Wallarah Seam.
Eventually it extended for more than 5 km to the South West, under Lake Macquarie.
The long and expensive distance to bring the coal back to “E” Pit led to a new drift type entrance being established at Crangan Bay in 1958.
Map by HJ Wright - Australaian Historical Railway Bulletin 1973
bottom of page