top of page

The entrances to “A” and “B” pits were located on the hillsides above the rail line and an inclined railway took coal wagons to the loading screens in the railway below. The descending, loaded skips, were used to haul the empty ones back up the incline and into the tunnel. 

Armstrong photos 2 1596.jpg

When the Pits were closed, the rail lines were removed and used elsewhere. After “A” Pit was closed, the coal left in it spontaneously combusted and burnt for many years.

Radar Station Lake Mac Libraries.jpeg

Photos       Lake Mac History

A radar station was built during the Second World War on the ground above the burning seam and the operators could feel warm ground in places and see steam rise on cold mornings.

bottom of page